Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Morris Blazer

Once I finished my plaid flannel Archer I caught a bit of Grainline fever. Jessica and I stopped at Stonemountain in Berkeley on our way back from Sonora and they had a bunch of Morris blazers made up that were cute as all get out. We both decided we had to jump on the train to Morris Town. My friend Martha is working on one too. There must be something in the air.


The pattern recommends fabric with some stretch, either a stretch woven or a stable knit. I used a fairly light weight ponte that I got at Britex years ago. At the time it was the most expensive fabric I'd ever bought, and it's still pretty much at the top of the heap, cost-wise. I thought about using it for a Renfrew, but turns out it's a nice weight for a light jacket. And I could fit the Morris onto my yardage - shazaam!



I made a size 6 for my 35ish inch bust. There isn't much ease in the pattern. You do want some stretch so you can move your arms comfortably.

I look a little Incredible Hulk-ish here
The pattern was easy to follow and everything fit together very nicely. It's a Best Pattern of 2015 on PatternReview.com, so you know it has to be solid. My only moment of confusion related to attaching the bottom hem facing. Luckily, there is a tutorial for this pattern on the Grainline site that clears everything up.

Hem a bit flyaway in the back
If I'm going to be picky, there are two things that bug me a bit about the blazer.

  1. The front facings don't seem to lay super smooth. Might be due to my somewhat droopy fabric, though I've seen others have this issue over on PatternReview
  2. The back flares out a bit more than I like at the hem. Again, my fabric may be partly to blame. Next time I may take the back in along the center seam towards the hem. Note to self: Self, remember to adjust the hem facing if you do!

When I first saw these pictures I was a little tweaked about these two issues. Now that I've worn the blazer a few times my enjoyment of the shape and the comfort is enough to outweigh a quibble or two.

There's this cream and black knit at Hart's. I can't get the idea of a Morris in that knit, but with black lapels out of my mind.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.

Next up, the Grainline scout tee.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! I've made this a couple times, on both I didn't face the hem, just turned it under. Kind of took care of the outward turn on the faced approach. And I agree on the front facing thing. I found that lifting the point by about an inch, and topstitching outside along the outside edge of the facing really helped. But just thoughts! Yours is so pretty, love the color on you! And you wear it really well.

    ReplyDelete