Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Me Made May Week 2

Here come my second week's worth of Me Made May photos. It was still cold and gray most of this week; I think there was only one day that was sunny from the get go. Sorry, but you'll be seeing a repeat of most of my pants. Sadly, the forecast looks like more of the same for the rest of the month. Curse you, El Nino! If you're going to hang around, at least bring some rain along with the gloom!

I'm a bit late posting because Blogger and I had some issues around uploading photos. Today we're friends again though.

Monday, May 9
Monday was my Jalie drop pocket cardi, along with a Kirsten Kimono Tee and a pair of Burdastyle 05-2012-#122, the Pajama Style Pants. I wear these items often. They're all neutral enough to go with a bunch of other garments. Have you tried the Kirsten Kimono Tee? It's a free pattern from Maria Denmark. It's a great, basic kimono sleeve tee. I have thousands, and I still make more.

Tuesday, May 10
On Tuesday I met my friend Molly to get my first drawing lesson. I read recently that, as one ages, it's good for the brain to learn to do something new and difficult. Considering I only ever drew one picture in my life, and that was 47 years ago, sketching sounds like it meets those criteria. I'm one sketch down and, so far, so good. Later that afternoon I rode my bike up to campus to meet my friend, Anne, for a walk in the redwoods. I wore my stretch denim BS 10-2103-#127, the narrow leg trousers. The stretch denim and narrow ankle make them a good bet for biking. I also wore one of my Christine Johnson V-neck Tees. I have a few of these and really like them for a chilly day. The neck comes up high in the back to give you that cozy, turtleneck feeling but the front can go as low a you want to sew it. It's an ingenious neckline construction. Too bad my knit is so lightweight it wrinkles when I move.

Wednesday, May 11
Wednesday I dropped my bike off for a tune-up and got a pedicure. I wore one of my Sewaholic Alma blouses and a pair of Style Arc Barb pants (another great free pattern). The Barb's are in ponte, which makes them both warm and bike-friendly. I like the Alma pattern too. It's just fitted enough to flatter but still easy to move around in.

Thursday, May 12 (looks like I'm levitating, not sure why)
Thursday I had lunch at a friend's house with a group of women I used to work with. We realized recently that we've known each other for at least 20 years. What a smart, kind, fun group they are! I'm lucky to know them. And especially lucky to have them make lunch for me - my friend, Kim, is an excellent cook. I wore my oldest pair of BS 10-2013-#127 pants and a cozy cowl-neck Renfrew. This is another great, basic tee. It comes with some nice neck and sleeve variations and the bands that finish the sleeves and bottom make it a good first knit pattern to try.

Friday, May 13
Friday I biked over to a local elementary school where I've been doing some reading tutoring. I work with 3 kids, two second-graders and a fifth grader. They are all totally adorable; a treat to spend time with. And, bonus, my fifth grader reached his reading goal on Friday! It was high fives all around. I wore my crazy pants (BS 05-2013) and another Kirsten Kimono Tee. Looks like I never reviewed these pants. I kind of like them! They have pockets and they're loose and breezy to wear. I ended up deep-sixing the drawstring and replacing it with elastic. It was a good reminder of why I don't like drawstring waistlines, even though they always sound like such a good idea. Too much fluff around the middle.

Saturday, May 14
Saturday I went with Zoe (my Great Pyrenees) to visit a local nursing home with our pet-assisted therapy group, Furry Friends (our motto is "We're Licking Loneliness"). I have a working shirt and Zoe has a working leash; we're supposed to wear them while making our visits. I ended up wearing my working shirt for the rest of the day while planting some succulent cuttings that my neighbor, Mary, very kindly gave me.  I did wear Me Made trousers, though! Another pair of BS 10-2013-#127. This color doesn't show the dog hair quite as much as some of my other pairs.

Sunday, May 15
Sunday was the day that got sunny first thing - woo hoo! I cracked out one of my Gertie Pencil Skirts and, yes, another Kirsten Kimono Tee. This skirt is another great first knit sewing project. One pattern piece. I'm not kidding. It has an elastic waist, which I think works up very nicely. Gertie has you sew the elastic around the skirt top on the outside, then flip to the inside and tack it down at the side seams. It comes out very smoothly, doesn't look like an elastic waist at all!

I'm getting together with my friend, Jessica, to do some sewing on Thursday. If all goes well, I'll have a new item to show soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment