Thursday, February 1, 2018

Trapezoid Top

You know those off-kilter tee shirts that pop up every so often in Burdastyle magazine? Well, they finally sucked me into making one of them. This is top #107 from the February, 2018 issue.



And here's the line drawing below.

BS 02-2018-#107


It really is as wonky as it looks. But I think I kind of like it.

Side view showing the long side
There are only two pattern pieces - front and back. The neckline is just turned and stitched, so there isn't even a neckband to put on. In fact, the sewing part of the project was a total walk in the park.


The pattern tracing, on the other hand, was a challenge. Maybe my eyes are getting worse in my old age, but I had a heck of a time following the lines on this one. True, the pattern pieces are large and oddly shaped. In fact, they're so large Burda has laid each piece out in two chunks that you need to tape together at the end.

But once the tracing and cutting are done, you just zip up four seams and Bob's your uncle.

Side view showing the short side
I used a light weight french terry in a color called "charcoal" that I found at Hart's. I originally bought it planning to make a tee shirt for The Man, but once I got it home all I could see was this trapezoid top. Sorry, honey. Yet he still volunteered to do my photo shoot this morning. He's a sweetie.



The style is a bit edgy for this beach town gal, but I feel I should stretch myself every now and again. The terry makes it feel like a cozy sweatshirt, but maybe with more of an urban vibe. During my test-wearing session it felt comfortable and pretty much stayed put, once I fluffed my neckline into shape.

I think I'll get some use out of it! And I did go back to get another piece of this fabric for The Man.

My pattern review is on PatternReview.com here.

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Tracing Burda is hard on a good day. I remember the first time I looked at them and road map came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this one in the Burda and it looks a bit like the pattern magic nejiri twist top. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good. I have seen a few of these Burda magazine patterns but never yet tried one. I also have this magazine so may have a go at making it. Just need the right fabric.

    ReplyDelete